Had fun with this, although I screwed up by painting the monster and thinking of it's value grouping before putting in the background elements. This lead to the decision to really restrain the darks on the creature, but then when I wanted to add some stuff in the bg I screwed up that relationship. Anyway, it's like I was saying, there's always a mistake, so there's always something to learn from and try to take to the next piece.
"The Veggemancer summons The Greater Snap Pea Goliath...Soon those churlish villagers will learn the cost of mocking Crumbfurth Spirule and The Esoteric Society of Arcane Botany!"
Wednesday, November 13, 2013
Tuesday, November 12, 2013
These were/are being done for the Facebook "Spitpaint" group where they post a topic and the idea is you only spend 30 minutes on the painting. It's been a great exercise as it kind of forces you to fail. The 30 minute time constraint forces you to make decisions and go with them and not noodle about trying to find an idea. Once you're on that idea it further forces you to think about what is the most efficient way of depicting that thing. It has also, for me anyway, uncovered areas where I was wasting time or being inefficient, such as terrible brush preset management. Anyway, it's pretty stressful at first but once you figure out a workflow it becomes a pretty fun challenge.
Saturday, November 9, 2013
Alrighty...trying to keep this thing from dying off. In October I tried to paint a prop a month, but didn't quite end up doing that. Here's the ones I did get done though! Also I wrote little one paragraph stories about these when posting them on facebook. I'll see about copy/pasting those into here later as an edit (on my tablet right now and that kind of stuff is a pain in the ass without a keyboard.